Sunday, July 6, 2008

Struggling

This weekend has been long and HOT. Our 4th of July party went really well! People came and had a blast!


It was also exhausting, and I had to deal with some family drama the next day (yesterday) that seemed to come out of nowhere. Anyone familiar with family drama would likely agree that it is absolutely soul sucking.


Yesterday was a bad day. Which is why I was on the trainer at 9:00 last night doing my 1:45 bike ride for the week. I figure a trainer ride late at night is better than no long ride for the week -- what do you think? I did not allow myself to feel like a failure for not getting up early to do it but rather I enjoyed getting some inspiration from the Olympic trials as I spun away.


Started yesterday feeling "hung over" even though I did not drink one drop of alcohol during our party! Too busy making sure things ran smoothly and socializing. There were a couple of things Glenn and I could have planned better but overall the party was a success. As the evening wore on though, I knew there was no way I was getting up early to ride.


Fortunately I'm at a point now where any workout under two hours seems pretty short so it ended up being not that big of a deal and I felt tons better after the ride. As I was eating a recovery meal at 11:30pm I marveled that I had gotten it done at all – last year I would have surely skipped it altogether. Total Bonus – I'm getting faster on the trainer! I'm also quicker outside than on the trainer so this makes me very happy. Sometimes it's the little things.


I have a 1:10 run today. Not sure exactly when I'll do it but it will get done.


There is no way I could do this sport without Glenn's support. Not only did he help me deal with my family drama, he listens to me talk nonstop about the Olympic trials and Dara Torres (don't get me started on her I feel like I could write a novel on what her accomplishments mean to me personally given that we are about the same age). AND he even sat with me during the first hour of last night's trainer ride, watching the swimming. We watched Dara win the preliminaries in the 50m and the look on his face said it all. WOW. Can't wait for the final tonight!


And of course he is great with the pets.


Here is a picture of him and Brinley in Long Beach a couple of years ago. She is just a puppy here, under a year old, and we went to Long Beach for J Fest. I wasn't racing which is why we found a pet friendly hotel and brought Brinley. That was a fun weekend. J


No comments: